Users may bookmark PDF documents with Adobe Acrobat for any document that contains an index; including appendices and exhibits in support of writ petitions. The index should include an electronic bookmark from each descriptive document title to the first page of the corresponding document in the appendix or exhibits.
If a user needs to submit appendices or exhibits in multi-part electronic files, each separate file should have a table or index stating the contents of that file.
A bookmark is a type of link with representative text in the Bookmarks panel in the navigation pane. Each bookmark goes to a different view or page in the document. Bookmarks are generated automatically during PDF creation from the table-of-contents entries of documents created by most desktop publishing programs. These bookmarks are often tagged and can be used to make edits in the PDF.
Initially, a bookmark displays the page that was in view when the bookmark was created, which is the bookmark’s destination. In Acrobat, you can set bookmark destinations as you create each bookmark. However, it is sometimes easier to create a group of bookmarks, and then set the destinations later.
In Acrobat, you can use bookmarks to mark a place in the PDF to which you want to return, or to jump to a destination in the PDF, another document, or a web page. Bookmarks can also perform actions, such as executing a menu item or submitting a form.
Note: An Acrobat user can add bookmarks to a document only if the security settings allow it.
Create a Bookmark
- Open the PDF in Acrobat DC.
- Choose View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Bookmarks to open the left Bookmark panel, or click the bookmark icon in the left panel if you already have it open.
- Scroll to the page for your first bookmark and either click or highlight a word where you want to place that bookmark. Here we have highlighted the word Complaint.
- Click the New Bookmark icon in the left menu and name that bookmark. (If the document is already text searchable, Adobe will auto-name the bookmark which you may edit.)
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 as needed.
Manage the Bookmark
- Reorder a bookmark by dragging and dropping the bookmark.
- Rename a bookmark by double clicking the bookmark.
- Delete a bookmark by highlighting it and clicking the trash can in the left menu.
Edit a Bookmark
- Click the respective bookmark.
- Select the spot on that page where you want the bookmark to move.
- Click the Bookmark Icon with the dropdown in the left panel.
- Select Set Bookmark Destination and then Yes to confirm the move.