Sometimes a filing clerk at the court rejects a filer’s envelope because one or more of the uploaded documents do not conform to CRC Rule 2.100 – 2.141 as outlined in the California Rules of Court. The filing clerk might add a rejection reason along the lines of:
Form is obsolete or does not conform to CRC Rule 2.100 – 2.141: Submit document normally sized (image received is too large)
Form is obsolete or does not conform to CRC Rule 2.100 – 2.141: Document size is improper – our file stamp does not fit proportionally on the document. Please resubmit.
It’s important to note that this rejection does not have anything to to with the document’s file size in terms of megabytes. This rejection typically has to do with the user’s scanner settings creating a document larger than the CRC’s rule for documents to be submitted in an 8.5″ x 11″ format.
Confirm the document is larger than the 8.5″x11′ requirement
If you receive a rejection reason along these lines, open any of the rejected PDFs in Adobe Acrobat to confirm the document is larger than the 8.5″x11′ requirement. Once you’ve opened your document, choose the Print option to view the document’s Print settings panel.
From this panel, select Actual size in the Page Sizing & Handling section (Letter B). Then look at the white box in the Comments & Forms section (Letter C). When Adobe tries to print the document at Actual size, only the portion that fits inside that white box can fit on an 8.5″ x 11″ piece of paper. If your entire page does NOT fit inside that white box, your document is in violation of CRC Rule 2.100 – 2.141.
Fix a document that does not conform to CRC Rule 2.100 – 2.141
PC users may use its Print to PDF feature while Mac users will want to use the computer’s native Preview program.
- Open the document in Adobe Acrobat
- Choose File > Print
- Select Adobe PDF as your printer (Letter A)
- Select Fit in the Page Sizing & Handling to allow the Adobe PDF print driver to reconvert your document and scale it down to normal size (Letter B).
- Click the Print button on the lower right to save your document with a new file name to keep it separate from the original one (ie. rejecteddocument-v2.pdf).
- Press Command (⌘) and the Spacebar to bring up Spotlight Search
- Type Preview in the field and click the Preview Icon to open that program.
- Open the document in Preview
- Choose File > Print or press ⌘P to bring up the Print menu
- Select a Paper Size of US Letter 8.50 by 11.0 inches in the drop down (Letter D)
- Select Scale to Fit to scale the document down to normal size (Letter E)
- Click the PDF dropdown below Copies per page field, and select Save as PDF to save your document (Letter F). Use a new file name to keep it separate from the original one (ie. rejecteddocument-v2.pdf).
Once you have the new version, you may replace the original one in the rejected filing and resubmit.